Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I love architecture. When I travel I always dedicate a large amount of time to check out the local spots looking for different type of interesting features and influences in the design of local buildings.

I can relate to George Costanza in that I always wanted be an architect. Unlike George I found other gainful employment. One type of architecture I enjoy is Art Deco.



The building above used to be the Wiltern theater in Los Angeles, California. I spent many a Saturday in the 70's in that place checking triple feature Martial Arts movies. Five Fingers of Death, Lady Kung-Fu, and the Chinese Connection was full of win! All the while in this beautiful ediface.



Another L.A. landmark and a fine example of the Art Deco style is Bullocks Wilshire. It is actually right down street from the Wiltern and was the place my Dad purchased my first big boy three piece suit...oh yeah I was sharp!



As a teenager I had a job as an usher in the Pantages Theater. While unassuming on the exterior the interior is magnificent.











Finally here is a more ornate and stylized Art Deco example.





Grauman's Chinese Theatre. I saw the premier of Enter the Dragon and Star Wars there. Good times...Great architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment